There are multiple factors to consider when choosing the right equine blanket for your equine companion. This article will explore some of the things you should take into consideration before making your final decision. Once you have made your purchase you must also be sure to optimise the blanket’s use as well as to maintain its quality so it lasts as long as possible.
Consider the following before choosing the best equine blanket for your horse:
- Where will your horse be spending the majority of their time this winter, in the stable or outside?
- Is your horse particularly sensitive to the cold?
- How often will your horse be wearing the blanket?
- Will your horse be wearing the blanket long enough to invest in more than one?
- Does the blanket need to be waterproof due to living in an area where rain is common in the winter?
- Will the blanket fit?
- Is your horse sporting a full coat or is it clipped?
Consider Which Fabric Works Best for Horse Blankets in South Africa
Most regions of South Africa do not often reach freezing and extreme cold temperatures. A filled or quilted equine blanket should be enough to keep horses warm this winter in the South African climate. Note that the heavier the fill in the equine blanket the warmer it will keep the horse. Trident’s Quilted Puffer Duvet Blanket is available in a range of sizes to suit any horse.
If you are entering extreme weather conditions, you should consider a waterproof jacket and even a Quilted Neck Blanket with a Hood to ensure your horse is warm enough.
The Best Equine Blanket Must Have the Perfect Fit
Ensure that you measure your horse’s dimensions before purchasing an equine blanket, or you risk purchasing the wrong size. An equine blanket is all but rendered useless if it doesn’t fit the horse it is intended for properly.