The year is coming to a speedy end, the Festive Season is starting, and everyone is celebrating – but this often means fireworks. There are a lot of fireworks going off this time of year and it freaks our dogs out, but luckily there are a few things we can do to make this season a little less stressful for our fur-kids.
1. Be prepared; keep a calendar and write down events that usually bring fireworks, such as Guy Fawkes, Diwali, and New Year’s Eve. This will help you to take all the necessary precautions to ensure that your pets are cared for and safe.
2. Prepare the house. It is best to provide your dog with a safe place to “hide in” during fireworks. When scared by sounds dogs often prefer to be in small enclosed areas – pop the dog bed or dog cushion into a crate or in a comfy corner and let your dog curl up and hide away there. Remove sharp or hazardous items from the room where you are keeping your pet in case he/she starts running and jumping around.
3. Keep your dogs inside during fireworks, and preferably with human companionship. Put the aircon on if it is hot, but rather don’t let them outside as dogs tend to run away when scared.
4. Keep the windows and curtains/blinds closed as this helps dampen the noise. Removing visual stimulation also helps to calm dogs – so it is best they don’t see the fireworks.
5. Counter act the scary sounds with other familiar sounds. Play music or leave the TV on, these familiar sounds will be comforting to your fur-friend.
6. Give your pup something to keep him occupied like a chew toy or ball as well as a bone or dog biscuits to chew on. This will amuse you dog and distract him/her from the sound.
7. Make sure that your pet has enough food and water – drinking water will calm him. Everything should be kept as normal as possible so that it feels like a normal day – your dog will be comforted by regular routine and familiar sounds and items.
Make sure that your dog’s collar is on and that he is wearing an ID tag, or has been microchipped – dogs tend to become Houdinis and disappear around this time of